List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: Re: Thank you to the Team
From:       Mark Hellman <markhellman () techie ! com>
Date:       2006-05-13 21:18:37

Marcel Hilzinger wrote:

> Please do your homework before posting. AVM drivers were removed, yes. =
But
> smartlink drivers are still there.

I am afraid but, once again it seems to be you who needs to do homework..=
.
Open smartlink-softmodem-kmp-default-2.9.10_2.6.16.13_4-44.i586.rpm
and you will see that only slusb.ko is there. The much more needed slamr.=
ko
(because almost every laptop nowadays comes with this type of modems) has
been removed.

> Perhaps. But now you at least know, what you are doing. It's more
> Linux-like, not Windows-like :-)

Linux will never increase its desktop market share with that kind of
mentality. That's for sure.

> Running binary drivers from ATI or Nvidia on servers =A0seems a bad ide=
a for
> me. But I guess we do not have the same definition of server.

It's not graphics drivers. It's modems and ISDN cards drivers that are
commonly needed on some servers (hylafax servers, for example). And with
the AVM drivers removal, kernel security updates require manual
intervention.

> But the whole story is more about the work of the kernel developers,
> debugging closed source drivers instead of writing open source ones etc=
.

Kernel developers are not and never were supposed to debug closed source
drivers. That is the responsability of the closed source drivers
publishers. Period. We all thought this matter was solved years and years
ago. It is very unfortunate that Novell took this step back without, at
least, giving a clear justification to its users.

Mark