List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Device Permissons
From:       pmoellon <mop48836 () mail ! telepac ! pt>
Date:       2005-09-30 22:36:50

Guðlaugur Jóhannesson wrote:

> Michael Schueller wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>> I ´m trying to change the Permission of the Device dev/hdb2 to
>> read/write for the Group Disk, but assoon i restart the system the
>> defaul value is set again.
>

> I have a similar problem, only with video0 and dsp and not hdb.  I
> unfortunately do not have a working solution.
>
>> I have tryed to put a rule into
>> /etc/permission or /etc/permission.local but nothing will work.
>

> This is, I think, meant to set the permission of files rather than
> devices.  It is not read at boot, but while running SuSEconfig
> --module permissions.
>
>> Could anybody tell me where it is written down that the devices have
>> to have readonly for the Group
>

> There is a file in /var/lib/ named pam_devperm that holds values for
> at least some devices, and it is read at boot time.  I haven't
> rebooted my computer after changing this as I only recently found the
> file and have no reason to reboot just jet.  This is therefore an
> untested solution and may not work.  I just hope somebody with more
> knowledge in this jumps in with a correct solution.
>
> Cheers
> Gulli

Just an ideia, as i'm not sure.

The workaround could be done in the /etc/fstab file

The matter is, if you can set permission for some filesystems
(umask=0002, etc.), i don't know if it is correct for ReiserFS.

i read that when you have an parameter in fstab as "user" (user id,
UID), you can apply the permissions, in the same logic, on a specific
GID (Group Id), as yours is your local "Group Disk".

Hope this can help, and if it is not the correct approach, please tell,
for Michael to have his issue resolved.

Cheers,
Patrick M.