List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-announce] SUSE Linux 10.1 Alpha1 "Auckland"
From:       Torsten <torsten () bloth ! net>
Date:       2005-09-30 9:02:07

Adrian Schroeter wrote:
> On Thursday 29 September 2005 21:29, Peter Czanik wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>>
>>>The boot image for network installation (i386 and x86-64 only atm) is
>>>available here:
>>>http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/SL-10.1-OSS-alpha1/inst-source/b
>>>oot/boot.iso
>>
>>It's at
>>http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-edge/inst-source/b
>>oot/boot.iso Is there a reason for putting it in a seperate directory tree
>>(SL-OSS-edge instead of SL-10.1-OSS-alpha1)?
>

> This directory will receive more often updates via drpmsyncd service after we
> have established it. We are working on this atm.
>
> The idea is to have regular releases like the alpha which guarantees a clean
> build and beside that always the latest versions for the rpms in the -edge
> tree. Unfortunately, rsync is not really a good tool here, bandwidth wise. So
> we do work on the drpmsyncd solution.
>
> Expect some more detailed informations and a running service within some weeks
> (we have no real date yet).
>
> bye
> adrian

Hi all,

why is there a special boot image for network install?
Can't I boot the linux/initrd from the regular images via pxe over
network? I think so.
Because yesterday I was able to start the ppc installation with the
"inst64" image via bootp/tftp.

So, why the special network install iso?

Thanks,

Torsten