List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] detecting HD's location for grub
From:       houghi <houghi () houghi ! org>
Date:       2005-09-29 18:25:10

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 12:59:54PM -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * houghi <houghi@houghi.org> [09-29-05 12:40]:
> > Well, with me it is hd3,2. What I am looking for is not so much a way to
> > calculate it yourself, but a way to determine it automaticaly, something
> > like:
> >
> > # foo /dir/bar
> > hd3,2
> >
> > or
> > # foo /dev/hdf3
> > hd3,2
> >
> > Or something similar.
>

> cat /etc/fstab

No, that is not correct. That does not hold any information about what
grub has. Where whould a program or script get the (hd3,2) info from that?

I think I am not being clear. I am looking for a command or program or
script that translates either /media/data or /dev/hdf3 to the correct root
information.

I am able to calculate it myself. I just want the computer to do it for me.
A command that has /dev/hdf3 as input and hd3,2 as output (or whatever is
correct)

houghi
--
Quote correct 	(NL) http://www.briachons.org/art/quote/