List:       opensuse
Subject:    Re: [opensuse] Samba Server setting not 'sticking' in YaST
From:       "Ken" <ken () knharris ! com>
Date:       2005-09-29 6:57:09

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon Dales" <SimonD@purrsoft.co.uk>
To: <opensuse@opensuse.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:35 AM

On Thursday 29 September 2005  3:05 am, Jonathan Lutz wrote:

> > Hello..
>
> I am trying to get Samba going while keeping the SuSE firewall enabled. In
> order to accomplish this, I have set the 'Open Port in Firewall' setting
> in
> the Samba Server screen in Yast (under Services etc.) Unfortunately, the
> setting does not 'stick'. If I exit yast or the Samba screen then go back
> in, the setting is not set as I specified (ie. unchecked). The firewall is
> up and running.
>
> Is there something I am missing, or is this a bug?

I have the firewall working with eth(0) in the external zone, and only the
ports open necessary for the Samba Server and SMB Shares.

Make sure the NIC is in the external zone and that the firewall is running
using YaST.

The ports required are TCP 139 and 445 and UDP 137 and 138. According to
/etc/services the services that run through these port are:

netbios-ns uses port 137 for both TCP and UDP
netbios-dgm uses port 138 for both TCP and UDP
netbios-ssn uses port 139 for both TCP and UDP
microsoft-ds uses port 445 for both TCP and UDP

If you open YaST>security and users>firewall>broadcast you should see
netbios-ns assigned to the external zone. add a space then netbios-dgm.
click next then Accept. Reboot. The shares should work now.

If the shares are still not working:

Start a terminal as superuser (System>terminal>terminal program -Super User
mode)
Type your root password
cd /etc/sysconfig
kate SuSEfirewall2 (the case is important)

This is the firewall config file. Scroll down to the #9.) section

look for FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP=""
the line should read FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="microsoft-ds netbios-ssn"

next look for FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP=""
the line should read FW_SERVICES_EXT_UDP="netbios-dgm netbios-ns"

save the file. Exit the terminal and reboot.

Everything should work now, including the CUPS printer server.