List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: BIO help please ??
From:       Dr Stephen Henson <drh () celocom ! com>
Date:       2000-05-30 22:26:13

Gregory Nicholls wrote:

>   Hi,
>     I'm writing a little program-ette using the SSL library and I'm
> hoping to be able to manage both SSL connections and non-SSL connections
> using BIO stuff. Now I can follow the SSL stuff (with difficulty)
> however I haven't been able to figure out how to make a normal non-SSL
> connection using the BIO functions. I found references to stuff like
> BIO_do_connect() however I can't find an example or a reference to how
> to use this. Could some kind soul supply the proper incantations (or
> reference) for this ??
> I am of course, assuming that the BIO functions _do_ have the underlying
> socket capabilities.

Yes they do. In fact its possible to write BIO based SSL and non SSL
stuff that works unmodified on all platforms OpenSSL compiles on.

That is provided you don't try to do too much.

There is an old example in demos/bio/sconnect.c, it is old and doesn't
do things like PRNG seeding as a result.

It is intended for non blocking SSL use but if you remove the stuff that
pushes the SSL BIO and a few other things it should work.

Steve.
--
Dr Stephen N. Henson.   http://www.drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk/
Personal Email: shenson@drh-consultancy.demon.co.uk