List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: Library available outside the USA ?
From:       Paul Preziosi <preziosi () cnam ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-29 8:32:56

Michael wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > As you know, some cryptography algorithms can't be used outside the
> > USA. So, can anyone tell me if the OpenSSL library can be used in a
> > commercial product outside the USA ? Or does the library include
> > some dark-sided crypto algorithm only available for the USA ?
>
> Just us folks in the US can't export them in electronic form although
> a published document which describes them in detail, including a
> listing (on paper), is an acceptable export item as I understand the
> law.

 Right. For instance, the international versions of PGP are exported,
 quite legally, as books listing the whole source (along with checksums
 and digests) and scanned back to electronic form for distribution
 (see http://www.pgpi.com/).

 There's another difference: RSA patents, because of differences in
 patent laws, is valid only in US and Canada. Therefore RSA can be
 freely used, for whatever purpose, outside US and Canada.

--
Paul