List:       apache-modssl
Subject:    Re: RPM for RH6.0 -> imap
From:       pbrown () redhat ! com
Date:       1999-05-20 21:53:54

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Brian Bruns wrote:

> It will be a short while before it's ready.  I'm not an official imap
> packager, I just put together packages for the use of people who don't
> like using RedHat's sometimes broken/outdated packages.  But it's a nice
> title anyways :)

Calling the Red Hat imap RPM broken is subjective at best, and wrong at
worst.  There is _no_ official soname number for the library according to
the imap source maintainer.  We tried to get this worked out before 6.0
shipped, but he didn't give us anything to go on.

This means that if we pick an arbitrary soname for the library and ship a
shared imap (c-client) library for red hat, we are opening up a can of
worms for future compatibility.  Better not to ship a broken shared
library that we will have to support for YEARS to come than ship something
that we make ourselves, and then catch heat later on if the maintainer for
instance chooses a lower soname number, and linking issues arise.

The only "right" way that I can see at the moment to get imap into PHP3
would be to include the c-client library source directly in the PHP3 rpm,
build it as a static library, and then link it when PHP3 is being built.
We will be doing this for the next version of our secure web server, and
for future Red Hat Linux releases.

---
  Preston Brown                                    Systems Engineer
  pbrown@redhat.com                                Red Hat Software, Inc.