List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: Decryption succeed in GCM mode when tag is truncated
From:       Jakob Bohm <jb-openssl () wisemo ! com>
Date:       2014-06-19 16:57:27

On 6/19/2014 11:19 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> CCM is probably the oldest of the three, its more complicated, and its
> offline (you have to have all data beforehand - you cannot stream data
> into it).
>
> Personally, I don't care about GCM's parallelizability because I
> require all data to be authenticated before being operated upon.

Note that the parallelizability applies to the sender too.

So with parallel GCM, the sender can start sending before it knows and
encrypts the last part of the plaintext, while a secure receiver still
needs to wait for the end before accepting the data.  So the total
delay is
   max(encrypt_time, transmit_time) + decrypt_time
while a non-parallelizable mode would have
   encrypt_time + transmit_time + decrypt_time

Of cause there are other drawbacks to the various mode that
needs to be considered before choosing one.

Enjoy

Jakob
--
Jakob Bohm, CIO, Partner, WiseMo A/S.  http://www.wisemo.com
Transformervej 29, 2730 Herlev, Denmark.  Direct +45 31 13 16 10