List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: OCSP stapling
From:       Jeremy Harris <jgh () wizmail ! org>
Date:       2013-02-23 15:03:26

On 02/19/2013 02:33 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

>>> That explanation could be clearer. In this case it's fine to mix the two.
>>
>> OK, thankyou.  Now, about the need for a store for the OCSP verify?
>
> You can disable verification altogether with the OCSP_NOVERIFY flag to
> OCSP_basic_verify, it should then never reference the passed store and it can
> be NULL.
>
> That's fine if the OCSP response has been signed by a CA in the
> server certificate chain as that chain has already been verified.

(which last is a requirement of the Stapling RFC, if I understand)

So I'm still confused.   What does OCSP_NOVERIFY disable and what
remains?   If it stops the checking of the signing chain of the stapling,
how is the case of a subverted server, which has a valid-but-revoked certificate,
handled?   It would seem that my client would successfully verify the
original server certificate and the content of stapling (invented by the now
malicious server to claim that the server certificate is still valid).

--
Thanks,
     Jeremy