List:       openssl-users
Subject:    RE: OCSP Responder
From:       "Dave Thompson" <dthompson () prinpay ! com>
Date:       2012-11-30 21:32:14

> From: owner-openssl-users@openssl.org On Behalf Of Rainer Rill
> Sent: Sunday, 25 November, 2012 08:04 [in zone -5]

I don't know what happened to this post. Headers (as resent)
show originator stamp Nov 25 14:04 +1 and initial transmission
.superkabel.de to .hosteurope.de to master.openssl.org by
14:21 +1, then X-Greylist: delayed 1016 seconds (about 17min),
but no relay until Nov 30 15:19 +1, which my mailhost got 3min later.

> I use Ubuntu 12.04 64bit server [with] openssl 1.0.1-4ubuntu5.5 ...

> Now I want to use the ocsp responder for testing.
> I start in terminal 1:
> >openssl ocsp -index /etc/ssl/index.txt -CA
> /etc/ssl/private/ca.crt -rkey /etc/ssl/private/ca.key -port
> 443 -nmin 10
> > Waiting for OCSP client connections...
>
> Then in another terminal:
> >openssl s_client -connect localhost:443
>
> The result is: <protocol reject>

> It would be great if they have a small hint for me.

Hint: OCSP transport is NOT SSL/TLS. It is HTTP-based.
In principle it can be HTTPS, but normally needn't
because it is signed and cert data is public anyway,
and OpenSSL commandline responder only does HTTP
(and a very minimal HTTP at that).

s_client (and s_server) implements SSL/TLS, not
full HTTPS and not HTTP at all.

commandline ocsp requester can send (HTTP or HTTPS) to the responder
and save the response, which you then verify. See the man page.

A real app (including a verify callback to use OCSP for SSL/TLS)
would need to send the request, verify the response, and then
actually use the contents of the response (if valid).

Using port 443 for OpenSSL responder which isn't HTTPS
is misleading. 80 if available would be consistent with
the protocol, but OpenSSL responder is not a general-purpose
webserver, so something like 1080 might be better.
The man page example uses 8888.