List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: DLL issues with Windows
From:       "William A. Rowe Jr." <wrowe () rowe-clan ! net>
Date:       2010-09-30 23:53:19

On 9/30/2010 11:42 AM, Jakob Bohm wrote:

> In Windows XP, Microsoft introduced their own badly designed idea of
> "versioned so-names" in the form of so-called "Assemblies".  Unless
> you are writing .NET code, you should really avoid that nonsense.

I expect SxS packages for openssl (and several other common libraries) will
all be released and revisioned by the CoApp project in the coming months.
Think of this similarly to any other linux vendor's packaging and distribution
strategy, not replacing source code projects roles.

But as you warn, it is a non trivial problem with several bright people
working to solve the SxS aspects of the build and installer toolchains.