List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: General question about documentation
From:       Kenneth Goldman <kgoldman () us ! ibm ! com>
Date:       2009-11-30 15:34:39

owner-openssl-users@openssl.org wrote on 11/26/2009 06:35:42 PM:

> > Finally, the source code IS the only reliable source of documentation
> > (assuming you can trust your compiler, OS, and hardware to do "the
> > right thing"). It isn't the most CONVENIENT, which is why we desire
> > other forms.

Two problems:

1 - Reading the source is only as reliable as the skill of the reader and
the comments in the code.  I'd rather have the answers than a research
project.

2 - If I read the source, I can't determine which functions are stable
and intended to be used by applications and which are internal and
subject to change or deletion with every release.

> the implementation details of the 250-odd API entry points in libssl.so
> would tell me very little about how to properly USE those APIs, and in
> fact, designing an application around my interpretation of the library
> developers intent would likely lead me down some rabbit holes I'd rather
> not explore.

User manual type documentation would be nice, but I'd be content with
a more complete implementation of what's there now.  E.g., the AES
functions are not documented yet.

I find the current documentation quite clear and easy to use.  My
only issue is that some functions are just not documented.