List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: FIPS mode
From:       Ben Laurie <ben () algroup ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-03-28 14:19:26

Steven Reddie wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I take it that dynamically linking the FIPS OpenSSL into an executable
> means that the FIPS certification is void for that application.  So as
> you have stated, static linking is required.  However, if I'm producing
> a security library that uses OpenSSL and I statically link the FIPS
> OpenSSL into that security library but applications dynamically link
> against my security library what does this mean as far as the FIPS
> certification is concerned?

IMO, if you can implement a check that the DSO matches the one you
linked against (and that that matches the one compiled from the FIPS
certified source), then you are FIPS compliant - however, we do not
provide that facility out-of-the-box. We should, perhaps, modify the
security policy to this effect.

Cheers,

Ben.