List:       openssl-users
Subject:    Re: OpenSSL: exchanging DH parameters
From:       Prakash babu <jprakashbabutest () yahoo ! co ! in>
Date:       2004-01-28 9:22:53

Hi,

I would suggest to have a copy of the same DH params before hand than to exchange \
during key exchange process because exchanging the key values always exposes you to \
the man-in-the-middle problem.

                                man-in-the-middle problem.

The Diffie-Hellman key exchange is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack. In this \
attack, an opponent Carol intercepts Alice's public value and sends her own public \
value to Bob. When Bob transmits his public value, Carol substitutes it with her own \
and sends it to Alice. Carol and Alice thus agree on one shared key and Carol and Bob \
agree on another shared key. After this exchange, Carol simply decrypts any messages \
sent out by Alice or Bob, and then reads and possibly modifies them before \
re-encrypting with the appropriate key and transmitting them to the other party. This \
vulnerability is present because Diffie-Hellman key exchange does not authenticate \
the participants

Reference:

http://www.hack.gr/users/dij/crypto/overview/diffie.html

regards,
Prakash Babu
www.visolve.com

Olia Kerzhner <oliakerzhner@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi all,
I have a question about DH parameters. From what I
understand, they can either be exchanged during key
exchange, or both Server and Client can have a copy of
the same DH params before hand.
Which way is better -- more efficient and more secure?
Since I'm coding both the Server and the Client, I
could easily have a copy available on each.

Also, do the DH params ever need to change? In other
words, is it OK to use the same DH params for years,
or is that a security hole?

thanks for your help,
Olia

Yahoo! India Mobile: Ringtones, Wallpapers, Picture Messages and more.Download now.