List:       openssl-dev
Subject:    Re: Solaris gcc shared library target is broken in 0.9.6a
From:       Bodo Moeller <moeller () cdc ! informatik ! tu-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-04-27 12:22:33

On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 07:49:36PM +0200, Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker wrote:

> carson> The solaris-*-gcc targets all seem to assume you're using GNU
> carson> ld, which nobody _I_ know does under solaris (does it even
> carson> compile?). This causes the shared library builds to
> carson> bomb. Fortunately, the fix is easy:

> I use GNU ld on Solaris, at least on the system I tested on.  Your fix
> breaks that, unfortunately, and setting $PATH to prioritise Solaris ld
> didn't seem to help, it seems like collect2 had the path to GNU ld
> hardcoded.

For Java programs (with gcc and libgcj) you apparently *have* to use
GNU ld; otherwise Java runtime library initialization fails in strange
ways.  Setting PATH does not change the compiled-in default (gcc
usually wanted to use /usr/ccs/bin/ld in our compilation); but this
default can be overriden by creating links in directories such as
/opt/gcc-2.95.2/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin (if gcc has been compiled
with --prefix=/opt/gcc-2.95.2 on a sparc-sun-solaris2.6 system).

I think before I had created this link, the gcc configure script
detected GNU ld because of the PATH setting, but the compiled gcc
still used /usr/ccs/bin/ld (or even used both versions for different
purposes), so gcc didn't work very well ...  I had to use 'ls -ul' and
'truss' a lot until gcc worked again after I had installed GNU ld.

Installing GNU ld was no problem at all, the problem was to persuade
gcc to use it correctly.

--
Bodo Möller <moeller@cdc.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
PGP http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/moeller/0x36d2c658.html