List:       openssl-dev
Subject:    Re: [openssl-dev] Test coverage report + small patch
From:       Harri Porten <porten () froglogic ! com>
Date:       2015-05-04 15:02:42

Hi Rich,

On Fri, 1 May 2015, Salz, Rich wrote:

> I am curious to see what the numbers look like from, say, yesterday compared to, roughly, \
> early next week.

We've compared the code coverage of the tests between the 1.0.2a release
and today's master state: it rose from 28.1% to 29.6%!

And as you predicted the code simplifications might be responsible: the
number of decision points went down from 70192 to 67845. Which is good.
Provided that the software still does the same thing as before ;)

> We are well into a huge overall edit that turns code like

If (p) free(p)
> Into
> 	free(p);
> And not just for free, but for several dozen OpenSSL functions.  This will probably remove a \
> couple of thousand decision points. The code certainly looks much simpler.

Drilling down into the file changes of the last two weeks one can see
cases of the if()/free() simplification happening in untested code
however:
http://www.opencoverage.net/projects/openssl-diff/index_html/source_33.html
I'm not blaming anyone for that, though. Just pointing out the risk of
potentially unnoticed regressions.

Harri.