List:       openssl-dev
Subject:    RE: FIPS 140-2 certification
From:       "Chris Brook" <cbrook () v-one ! com>
Date:       2002-09-30 13:00:24

We have got FIPS 140-1 certification using the OpenSSL crypto library and I
believe there are other VPN vendors who have done this. A lot of it is
documentation.  On the code side, you must use only approved encryption and
hash algorithms: 3DES (DES) and SHA-1 (not MD5).  AES obviously has been
added for FIPS 140-2.  Random number seeding must use ANSII X9.17; we have
added this outside the crypto library, I think our only addition.  There are
some procedural/self-checking requirements: all modules inside the "crypto
boundary" (you define that) must run a self-check code integrity test at
startup (typically running DES decryption to get a checksum and comparing
that to a known checksum that goes with the release), and a known answer
test at startup on all crypto algorithms to verify that they are working OK.
Hope this helps.  The cost in the US for Level 1 (software only)
certification testing is about $50,000.
Chris Brook