List:       opensolaris-xwin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [xwin-discuss] Xserver 1.4.2: in session
From:       Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-06-18 14:55:36

Ken Mays wrote:
> Conclusion: After review of the current available X sources at this time, best to \
> move the X framework to Xorg 7.4. Xserver 1.4.2 requires a few X extension updates \
> not available in SXCE b90 (meaning Solaris 10 as well) - and need consistency in \
> the X framework for the new Intel 2.3.2 driver and Mesa 7.1 release.

We have no plans to do anything with Xserver 1.4.2 at this time - it's
just too late for us to care, and 1.5 will be here too soon to spend
time working on a release about to become instantly obsolete.

We are planning to move to X11R7.4/Xorg 1.5 once it's released - it's
still in release candidate stages.   There's a lot of work to do to
actually integrate it - we'll need libpciaccess & libpixman integrated
first, and to figure out what to do about the HAL/D-Bus input hotplugging
(or if it can even be used on Solaris without the Linux kernel evdev
driver), so there's no target date/build yet.

Of course, this is all OpenSolaris/Nevada only, and there are no plans
at this time for a Solaris 10 backport, though that could change if
someone at Sun determined there was something in it needed in Solaris 10.
(That's a question for Sun's marketing/product management folks to
 decide, not this forum.)

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com