List:       opensolaris-xwin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [xwin-discuss] [osol-help] Does /usr/openwin/bin/xterm support
From:       Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-12-18 18:47:22

Mark wrote:
> I usually use bitstream vera sans mono but it was ugly in xterm. Should I
install some other terminal app? I am running sxde907 in a vm and I am a bit
short on resources. Would I benefit from installing rxvt or something else over
using gnome-terminal?

The current /usr/openwin/bin/xterm is an older fork that does not
use Xft, so doesn't have anti-aliasing for fonts or easy font naming
or other modern features - only the traditional X font system is used.
You should be able to get non-antialiased Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
by specifying the font name as something like:
-*-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-*-*-*-150-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

We do plan to upgrade to the current X.Org/XFree86 xterm sometime
in 2008, which will bring better font support.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com