List:       opensolaris-xwin-discuss
Subject:    [xwin-discuss] Re: kdmconfig segfaults
From:       "David Dyer-Bennet" <dd-b () dd-b ! net>
Date:       2006-09-16 5:15:34

On 9/11/06, David Dyer-Bennet <dd-b@dd-b.net> wrote:
> I had a working Solaris nv_44 installation on my new server (except
> for many hundred dollars of hot-swap hardware apparently not working
> with Solaris yet, grump), with X (sun server) working with the mouse,
> keyboard, and monitor.
>
> I have now moved that physical system downstairs (first tests were on
> the dining room table); so it's plugged into a different keyboard and
> mouse and monitor (same size and very similar specs though), and the
> keyboard and mouse are connected through a KVM switch down here.
>
> And the X logon screen fails to come up, and when I boot in single
> user mode and run kdmconfig it segfaults.  If I unconfigure with
> kdmconfig -u, that completes without error, but a new kdmconfig
> segfaults.  I imagine I can now boot the system without the X logon
> screen trying to come up, though I haven't tried yet.  I made sure the
> KVM switch was set to this server at boot, so it would see the mouse
> from the beginning.
>
> The install-discuss list suggested I'd get better results over here...

A from-scratch install of snv_44 this time selected Xorg, and it came
up working, except no mouse.  The mouse down here is a PS/2 mouse
switched through a Linksys Proconnect 4-port KVM switch, fairly old.
The computer has a PS/2 mouse port, so this really ought to work.  I
made sure the mouse remained switched to the server throughout the
install.

Running kdmconfig segfaults, as I reported before.  Anybody interested
in the core file?

I tried plugging in a USB mouse I had lying around, and the system
immediately recognized it and started moving the cursor around the
screen and all that.  And kdmconfig no longer segfaults; so the
problem is somehow associated with the mouse, I guess that has to
mean.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>