List:       opensolaris-xwin-discuss
Subject:    [xwin-discuss] Re: [desktop-discuss] libXft 2.1.9 (and compilation)
From:       Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith () sun ! com>
Date:       2006-09-12 19:56:18

Akhilesh Mritunjai wrote:
> I was trying to build DrScheme when I ran into an issue with libXft shipped with \
> Nevada build 43 (bfu'ed from 39).

libXft is in the X consolidation, not ON, so if you installed nv_39 and bfu'ed
43, you still have the nv_39 libXft.

> In libXft 2.1.9 the libXft developers goofed up and marked function \
> "XftNameUnparse" as private. Thus the linking process fails while building an \
> application that uses this function.
> This issue has subsequently been fixed in libXft 2.1.10. I tried to build it on \
> Nevada, but failed because of conflict between GNU gcc and SUN ld. The GNU gcc \
> expects GNU ld. However the GNU linker is present as "gld", apparantly gcc wasn't \
> compiled with that information. So gcc tries to use the SUN ld (which doesn't like \
> the GNU command line options).
> Can anybody shed some light about-
> 1. When and if the new version of libXft would be integrated into Nevada ?

We're still shipping libXft 2.1.6 in Nevada - there haven't been any changes
since then that have been pressing enough to push us to upgrade, so it's been
left as a low priority.    The reason we have the same bug as 2.1.9 is that
our 2.1.6 builds apply a mapfile to scope out the same symbols that were
marked public vs. hidden in 2.1.9 (I made the list for our mapfile, submitted
it to the Xft developers, and they applied it to the release, resulting in
both of us getting the same issue via different mechanisms).

No one has filed a bug against our libXft though, so it didn't appear to be
an issue for any Solaris users - if you want to see this fixed in the libXft
bundled in Nevada, file a bug against xserver/client_libraries on
bugs.opensolaris.org and we'll determine whether we should update our mapfile
or just upgrade to 2.1.10 and drop our mapfile.

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com