List:       opensolaris-xen-discuss
Subject:    Re: [xen-discuss] several questions (initiation)
From:       Mark Johnson <Mark.Johnson () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-11-11 13:42:23

Tommy McNeely wrote:

> > tap:vdisk works fine over NFS..  Remember that
> > everything has
> > to be read/writeable by user xvm. We do need to
> > improve the
> > performance some more though.
>
> Is the WIKI still correct that tap:vdisk with VMDK format is the "best peforming" \
> (and most compatible)?

For file based disks, yes. Block will always be faster.
File based disks are more flexible..

> > Although, if your looking towards a production'ish
> > environment,
> > I would suggest using iscsi.  We also have some
> > modifications
> > which makes it possible to easily migrated a guest on
> > an iscsi
> > disk.
> >
> > phy:iscsi:/alias/<lun>/<iscsi-alias>
> > phy:iscsi:/discover/<lun>/<alias or target id>
>
> We will look at iscsi, but past experience has not been
 > real good with it. Our NAS backend is a 7410c, which does
 > appear to support iscsi, so its something we can certainly
 > look at trying again. I am looking for something that is
 > network based for (live) migration compatibility.

if you can get a decent performing iscsi backend, it works
very well.

You can use san too...  The framework is very simple to extent.
It would be easy to extend it to have something line phy:san:/wwn/lun
and have the dom0 figure out the /dev/dsk mapping..

> > .
> >
> > virt-install -p -n nevada -l /export/snv108.iso
> > --nographics \
> > --noautoconsole -r 1024 \
> > --disk
> > path=/static/192.168.0.70/0/iqn.1986-03.com.sun:02:d5
> > b1c26-0a7a-c6b4-98f8-d6d267eb2561,driver=phy,subdriver
> > =iscsi
>
> Wow, thats nearly as obnoxious looking as FC WWNs ;)

That's iscsi for you :-)

> > > *** Next question: How do I find out what "drivers"
> > are supported
> > > for disks for example. There are a couple
> > examples on the wiki,
> > > but I didn't see anything in the man pages, I
> > didn't see any help
> > > or list option to tell me what it would support.
> > It seems like
> > > there should be a list somewhere that lists
> > driver/subdriver and
> > > maybe some description. At the very least maybe
> > there is a way to
> > > list a library directory or something?
> > For file based disks, you should use tap:vdisk.
>
> OK, but that still doesn't explain the most basic
 > question of how to get the list of drivers, sub
 > drivers and how to use them... maybe a wiki page suggestion? :)

Yes, we should add something there...

Here's what's there as of today for Solaris
on Xen.

    file:/
    tap:vdisk:/
    phy:/
    phy:iscsi:/
    phy:npiv:/
    phy:zvol:/

We have infrastructure support for phy:san:/ but don't have
a hotplug script for it yet. If your interested, we can add
that in easy enough.. The iscsi support was done for the
www.sun.com folks originally.

> (snipped virt-manager stuff, thanks)
>
> > > *** Next question: does XEN on OS support virtual
> > fiber channel?
> >
> > If you mean npiv, then yes... You can see the hotplug
> > script
> > /usr/lib/xen/scripts/vbd-npiv
> > r some details..  I don't have any H/W which supports
> > it
> > so I don't know that much about it.
> >

> Yes, I have been going round and round with NPIV.
 > That is a whole separate thread :) see bug id # 6900002 :)

Yes, I see that..

Thanks,

MRJ