List:       opensolaris-xen-discuss
Subject:    [xen-discuss] accessing a mirrored device from within a PV guest
From:       Juan Ramirez <Juan.Ramirez () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2008-10-20 19:28:20

I am seeing a Fedora 8 64-bit PV guest encounter I/O errors when
attempting to access a block attached mirrored device.  For instance,
when I try to partition the device and create a filesystem on it, I see
the following output going to syslog.

Buffer I/O error on device xvdd, logical block 0
lost page write due to I/O error on xvdd
  xvdd: unknown partition table
  xvdd: unknown partition table
end_request: I/O error, dev xvdd, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device xvdd, logical block 0
lost page write due to I/O error on xvdd
Buffer I/O error on device xvdd, logical block 1
lost page write due to I/O error on xvdd
Buffer I/O error on device xvdd, logical block 2

The mirrored device can be accessed and written to from dom0, and
metastat does not report any problems:

# metastat
d1: Mirror
     Submirror 0: d10
       State: Okay
     Submirror 1: d11
       State: Okay
     Pass: 1
     Read option: roundrobin (default)
     Write option: parallel (default)
     Size: 10477568 blocks (5.0 GB)

d10: Submirror of d1
     State: Okay
     Size: 10477568 blocks (5.0 GB)
     Stripe 0:
         Device                                             Start Block
  Dbase        State Reloc Hot Spare
         /dev/dsk/c1t600144F048F8BA0600001B245CC83300d0s2          0
  No            Okay   Yes

d11: Submirror of d1
     State: Okay
     Size: 10477568 blocks (5.0 GB)
     Stripe 0:
         Device                                             Start Block
  Dbase        State Reloc Hot Spare
         /dev/dsk/c1t600144F048F8BADA00001B245CC83300d0s2          0
  No            Okay   Yes

The guest seems to have no problem handling block-attached devices that
are not mirrored.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues and/or can
provide pointers on what is going amiss?

Thanks in advance,

Juan