List:       opensolaris-xen-discuss
Subject:    [xen-discuss] Re: [Xen-users] Solaris/ZFS Dom0
From:       Kent Watsen <kent () watsen ! net>
Date:       2007-01-30 6:02:47

[Attachment #2 (text/html)]

<head>
</head>
My bad - cross-posting to <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" \
href="mailto:xen-discuss@opensolaris.org">xen-discuss@opensolaris.org</a> list \
now...<br> <br>
Kent Watsen wrote:
  <title></title>
John Levon wrote:
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 05:02:22PM -0800, Kent Watsen wrote:

  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">I just realized that solaris/zfs is a much better dom0 than \
linux/lvm  for my server project, assuming zfs's virtual partitions can be used by
domu's...can they?
    </pre>
    <pre wrap=""><!---->
In our current development bits you can create a zvol on dom0 then use
that for the UFS boot filesystem. Since you can't boot directly off a
ZFS filesystem from domU's point of view yet (just like Nevada), you
need UFS to boot.
  </pre>
Just to confirm, can any domU's partition be mapped from a ZFS
volume?&nbsp;&nbsp; Following is how I map partitions using LVM on a linux=based
dom0 - can you post the equivalent line for a solaris-based dom0 using
ZFS?<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; disk = [ 'phy:xen-vg/centos-root,hdb1,w',
'phy:xen-vg/centos-swap,hdb2,w' ]<br>
Also, is it correct that all of your references to UFS only pertain to
solaris-based domUs? - that is, Solaris, in general, can not boot off
ZFS?&nbsp; If so, then it is fine for me as my primary interest in ZFS is to
enable the dom0 flexibility in allocating arbitrary amounts of logical
space to domUs...&nbsp; My plan is the run a domU instance for every OS I
can - as part of a cross-platform build/test machine<br>
 type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">Also, I've read all the blogs on xen and solaris, but its never \
stated  as to which version of xen is shipping with nevada or the current sxcr
build (55).  In case the xen version is not current, will it be possible
for me to replace it with my own xen-build or would I have to wait for
the next sun-built update?
    </pre>
    <pre wrap=""><!---->
Xen isn't yet integrated into Nevada and is still under heavy
development. For dom0 you'll need to use our bits still since a number
of Xen bits won't even compile on Solaris. We're gradually trying to
merge as much as we can with upstream.
  </pre>
Fair enough, but this now makes me wonder how the upgrade goes.&nbsp;
Currently, I have my linux-based dom0 on a physically different disk
(actually two drives in a raid-1) and all my domUs on a large LVM
backed by a raid-5 array.&nbsp; I only have one machine (its my home
server), so I can't do a live-migration, so instead I prepare a new
dom0 disk on another box, shutdown the primary machine, swap in the new
dom0, and boot - the new dom0's LVM finds the old logical volumes and
all is good...&nbsp; Can I do something like this with ZFS?&nbsp; Or, more
directly, what would you do if you only had one machine?<br>
 type="cite">
    <pre wrap="">Any further questions are probably best directed to
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
 href="mailto:xen-discuss@opensolaris.org">xen-discuss@opensolaris.org</a> where more \
relevant people are listening.  </pre>
Thanks for the pointer!&nbsp;&nbsp; I've cross-posted this message there - if
anybody on xen-users wants to follow this thread, here is the web
archive:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
 href="http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=53">http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=53</a><br>
Kent<br>
  <pre wrap="">
<hr size="4" width="90%">