List:       opensolaris-website-discuss
Subject:    Re: [website-discuss] [osol-discuss] Start Using SX*E, Or Just Wait?
From:       Mike Kupfer <mike.kupfer () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-11-13 0:42:34

>>>>> "Derek" == Derek Cicero <derek.cicero@sun.com> writes:

Derek> Originally Dan Price suggested we put Nevada in the left nav
Derek> because that is where we host information such as the OpenSolaris
Derek> Developer's Reference Guide, the flags day notices and the gate
Derek> schedule, among other items.

Yes, but that was back when ON was the only consolidation on os.o.  All
of those things that you mention (the DevRef, flag day notices, and gate
schedule) are specific to ON.

Derek> 2) Expand the 'Communities' section in the left nav to include
Derek>    ZFS, Zones, Xen and DTrace.

This begs the question of what the left-hand nav bar is for.  Is it to
help people get oriented, or is it to optimize access to the most
frequently accessed pages?  If it's to help people get oriented, I think
the choices should reflect the breadth of the communities (without being
overwhelming).  Or the list could reflect the variety of ways someone
could get involved (e.g., developer, tester, translator, writer, user).
If it's just to optimize access to certain pages, then I'd prefer that
they be listed as "most popular communities" (or something like that).

Would it look too busy to have short lists of key and most-popular
communities?

BTW, I notice that the communities page has a "key communities" box in
the right-hand nav bar.   The description for ON should probably be
something like

	Kernel, core libraries and utilities.

mike