List:       opensolaris-ufs-discuss
Subject:    [ufs-discuss] SVM synchronization order
From:       Truong.Q.Nguyen () Sun ! COM (Tony Nguyen)
Date:       2005-08-08 10:59:16

Frank Batschulat wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:02:26 +0200, Matty <matty91@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> When a system boots from a mirrored meta device, does it always sync
>> from the lowest submirror (e.g., Submirror 0) to the highest
>> submirror  (e.g., Submirror 1)? Is there a way to force a
>> resynchronization from  the highest Submirror to the lowest Submirror
>> (this would be helpful  when you trash the primary mirror when booted
>> from CDROM, and don't want  to corrupt the working mirror when you
>> reboot). I usually control this  my moving RC scripts and booting from
>> the secondary mirror, but wanted  to see what other methods existed.
>> The section "RAID-1 Volume (Mirror)  Resynchronization" on
>> docs.sun.com doesn't seem to address this specific  scenario:
>>
>> http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4520/6manpiejc?a=view
>

> this question is far better answered by the SVM folks on the
> LVM discussion list:
>
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/forum.jspa?forumID=16
>
> lvm-discuss@opensolaris.org
>
> ---
> frankB

What do you mean by 'trashing the mirror when booting from the CD-ROM'?
I'm guessing you mean trashing(writing to) the first submirror/boot
device. Clarifications on this will help us better answer your
questions. Some information on

There's no way for a user to specify which submirror the resync will get
data from.  However, in your case, a good workaround, similar to what
you've done is:
- detach the primary mirror before booting from the CD-ROM (you also
need to change the default boot device in either the BIOS or eeprom).
- after trashing the old primary boot device, reboot using the remaining
submirror.
- attach the old submirror to the mirror to sync its data.

-tony