List:       opensolaris-ufs-discuss
Subject:    [ufs-discuss] Any interest in UFS2 ?
From:       Geoff.Buckingham () reuters ! com (Geoff Buckingham)
Date:       2005-06-22 5:45:01

On the issue of ext2/3, which was raised at Mondays user group.
Specifically that the GPL would prevent porting the Linux's ext2/3. The
motivation for this appears to be people dual-booting PCs. (GPL should
not be an issue as I believe NetBSD has an untainted ext2/3
implementation derived from their UFS.)

I think people would be interested in
ntfs/ext2/ext3/ufs(bsd)/ufs2/hfs+(apple) and fat in order to be able to
read 'foreign' disks or partitions. (Probably rieserfs xfs and gfs too,
although these have no non GPL implementations I am aware of).

Of the above I would only be interested in ufs2 for purposes other than
simple data migration/sharing.

Does Solaris already have something in place to provide abstraction of
the on disk byte-order, between sparc and x86?