List:       opensolaris-tools-discuss
Subject:    Re: [tools-discuss] Project Proposal -- Port to MIPS architecture
From:       "Mark Martin" <storycrafter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-19 14:07:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 2:44 AM, "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@netsyncro.com>wrote:

> Mark Martin wrote:
>
>> I am seeking approval for a project for porting OpenSolaris to the MIPS
>> architecture.
>>
>> Proposal: Provide code changes, tools, documentation, and other necessary
>> artifacts for a port of OpenSolaris to the MIPS architecture.  Movidis, a
>> maker of MIPS based components and systems has expressed interest in support
>> of this port, so it is likely that their products will be the initial
>> supported platforms -- support for other MIPS based platforms may follow
>> suit.  The current project goal is to support the MIPS64 architecture,
>> although the MIPS32 ISA may also be a possibility.
>> Among other deliverables, it is expected that this port will include
>> integration of some or all of changes identified in the gccfss project:
>> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=24934, and preserved
>> here: http://cr.opensolaris.org/~devnull/6515400/<http://cr.opensolaris.org/%7Edevnull/6515400/><
>> http://cr.opensolaris.org/%7Edevnull/6515400/>.  There may be additional
>> key core kernel changes similar to those identified in the PowerPC port
>> project.  Some of these changes were necessary for support for a gcc based
>> cross compilation tool chain.  This cross compiler tool chain is necessary
>> for boot strap of the port, but a self-hosting, native gcc tool chain is
>> also a goal for the project.
>>
>> A discussion list and source repository are also requested.
>>
> It's too bad sun cc source isn't available yet.. I'm addicted to the
> quality of some of the code that SS12 and especially SSX is producing
> otherwise I'd be 100% 1+.. I've been working on size optimizations which
> code possibly pay off in the not too distant future for an embedded
> platform.

Hence tools-discuss in the distribution list :)  I consider it a necessary
evil that GCC is in the bootstrap tool-chain and most likely the native
build tool-chain as well.  That was going to be the fate for PowerPC had it
gotten that far.

This is also a gap.  I believe it is possible to build at least the
OpenSolaris ON consolidation bits with GCC at the moment (although I am not
certain of which version).  GCC 4 compilation is not possible without at
least some of those fixes I referenced, so I believe 3.x is required (at
least that was the case with the PowerPC port from nv-56).  Also, C++
compilation for other consolidations is going to be a sticky issue as the
Sun C++ ABI is the preferred and (almost) required C++ ABI according to
current ARC requirements.  I believe, for the moment, that closing that gap
would have to be a follow-on project.  I want to see a port coming up to run
levels > 1 before I go working on fixing layered software issues.

On that note, this brings up other issues such as distribution and testing
down the road.  I would like to suggest that the scope for this project be
to simply bring up the port for recent versions of the ON, SFW, and X
consolidations and I would look to the Emerging Platforms Community to
assist in creating follow on projects to close distribution, testing, and
developer p & p gaps.  As items come up that need to be brought for ARC
attention, I can at least lead some of those tasks.