List:       opensolaris-tools-discuss
Subject:    Re: [tools-discuss] SCCS keywords, hg and scripts
From:       Will Fiveash <William.Fiveash () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-06-27 15:42:23

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 09:46:11AM -0400, James Carlson wrote:
> Will Fiveash writes:
> > I'm cc'ing scm-migration-dev@opensolaris.org on this.
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 05:18:07PM -0500, Will Fiveash wrote:
> > > I recently added a shell script (krb-diag) to the opensolaris kerberos
> > > hg repository: ssh://anon@hg.opensolaris.org/hg/kerberos/tools
> > >
> > > What confuses me is that I looked at the scripts in the onnv-scm hg
> > > repository (onnv-scm/usr/src/tools/scripts) and I see unexpanded SCCS
> > > keywords in the script files.  So I left the unexpanded SCCS keywords in
> > > krb-diag.  I'm betting this was wrong since the script should have a
> > > current version number in it.  What was I supposed to do here?
> >
> > Is this documented somewhere on
> > http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/tools/scm/hg_teamware_transition/
> > ?
>
> You did the right thing.
>
> All of the old SCCS keywords will be ripped out after the gate itself
> converts to Mercurial.  They don't do anything, and there's no
> reasonable way to insert anything equivalent for Mercurial.  (Hg
> doesn't have per-file version numbers or expanding keywords like SCCS
> or RCS.)

The problem I face is that krb-diag outputs its version which is useful
when looking at its diagnostic output.  As it is now in the kerberos
repository the unexpanded SCCS keywords will be output which is useless.
In addition, the idea is that the version of the script in the krb
repository will be the canonical version and people should be able to
download that version and run it (with the version info embedded in the
script).  Will this require a Makefile to produce a version of the
script with its version info expanded?

> I didn't find that in the transition document, and I'm not sure why.
> The folks writing those documents have used hg for a while, and
> perhaps it just seemed too "obvious" -- though it's not for someone
> with a Teamware background.  It probably should be there.

I agree.  This is one of the first things I needed help with.

--
Will Fiveash
Sun Microsystems               Office x64079/512-401-1079