List:       opensolaris-tools-discuss
Subject:    Re: [tools-discuss] Sponsor for an OpenSolaris Project
From:       Stephen Hahn <sch () sun ! com>
Date:       2008-06-19 20:39:35

* Thomas Preisler <thomas.preisler@sun.com> [2008-06-18 19:45]:
> Looks like there are some (enough?) interest in tools community being
> a sponsor.
>
> What is the next formal step?

  So, there actually needs to be a vote by the Tools CG core
  contributors to accept this as a project.  I have a number of
  concerns, although I think the idea is useful.

  - Project name:  you can't use OpenSolaris in a project name.  I also
    think the word "Explorer" is vague for a project name--I confess I
    dislike vague project names--but I can't seem to come up with a
    better suggestion.  I'll just note that there is a long standing
    "Explorer" product that collects system configuration for the
    operating system, so we're setting up a conflict, if nothing else.

  - Project output:  what does the project produce?  A set of NetBeans
    project files?  A NetBeans extension?  When would the project end?
    How does the project differ from, say, just expected improvements to
    the C/C++/Make project support in NetBeans?

  I'd like to see some more information along these lines, prior to the
  vote.

  - Stephen

--
sch@sun.com  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/