List:       opensolaris-tools-discuss
Subject:    Re: [tools-discuss] libdisasm update
From:       Keith M Wesolowski <keith.wesolowski () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-08-20 22:35:16

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 07:55:09PM -0500, Jason King wrote:

>    -- The closed source version has a number of issues with floating
> point registers.  When it decodes a double register name, it still
> prepends %f to the resulting number (i.e. %f0) instead of %d.  As a
> temporary workaround, I've done something similar (but easy to
> change).
>
> However, it also often uses single-precision register names in
> instruction arguments when it should be double precision (you can tell
> because double register values are encoded slightly differently -- a
> value of '1' in a register field meant for doubles actually means %d32
> for example).  I've found this on fxtos, fstox, fdtoi, fitod,
> fmul8x16, fmul8ulx16, fmul8sux16, fcmpgt32, fcmple16, fcmple32,
> fcmpgt16, fcmpeq16, and fcmpeq32.  In the script I used to compare the
> outputs (included in the repo), I correct the closed source output and
> then compare the results.

Indeed.  See also 6354529 and 6354530.  Are there bugids for all the
the existing dis(1) misbehaviours?  If you can show that they're bugs,
then fixing them when you replace the closed source will be easy -
every difference in output has an associated bug against the existing
program.

>  As a reminder, the source can be obtained from
> http://hg.genunix.org/libdisasm.hg
> In it, I included libdisasm.[ch] and libdisasm_impl.h so that one
> didn't need a bunch of stuff to build the library.  compare.pl is the
> script used to compare the outputs, and files.txt is the list of files
> I've been using for validation.

This is really great, Jason.  Keep up the good work.

--
Keith M Wesolowski		"Sir, we're surrounded!"
FishWorks			"Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"