List:       opensolaris-tools-discuss
Subject:    [tools-discuss] Weird CPU overload spikes on solaris 8
From:       Ritesh <ritesh.patani () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-06-17 0:18:03

I am facing a strange problem of CPU spikes every 12-13 mins. This is
a sun fire V210 machine (with 2 processors) and solaris 8. (5.8 Generic_117350-26 \
sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210)

I have oracle, tomcat and a client-server (c++) application with few
threads running on the system(this is a simple messaging application).

I tried monitoring with prstat -Lm 1 but that shows me every thread of
the application pretty much consuming consistent cpu (user and
system).
mpstat however do shows the spikes happening 12-13 mins. i am
unable to catch the culprit. i do see the prstat -m shows ICWX
(involuntary context switches) for application threads incrasing
during the spike and so does the latency (it goes from 0.0 to 4.5).

How do i catch the culprit. my oracle is pretty much supposed to be
idle, so does the tomcat/ java and any other process.

Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated.

thanks
rp.