List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    [sysadmin-discuss] Flashing HDD service LEDs on Xnnnn systems
From:       Dale Ghent <daleg () elemental ! org>
Date:       2010-02-12 5:25:20

Hey all

I have a question regarding FMA and the triggering of the amber service LEDs (and \
perhaps, the OK2RM blue LEDs) on Sun X-series systems.

Bear in mind that my X-series servers all run Solaris 10, not OpenSolaris... haven't \
had the time to get one installed since I currently lack a usable AI infrastructure.

When a hard drive goes bad, and goes bad to the point where ZFS rejects it and/or it \
triggers enough warnings in the sd driver that signifies that the drive is otherwise \
unusable, the service LEDs that are present in the questionable drive's drive slot do \
not illuminate. The only time the service or the blue OK2RM LEDs are illuminated is \
if one goes into the ILOM and sets them to the unintuitive value of "fast_blink". \
This is what I've had to do in order to guide my people in the data center to the \
correct disk when they receive a replacement part.

So it appears that this feature of the X-series hardware goes essentially unused \
unless someone manually intervenes inside ILOM.

I guess my questions are:

1) Does or will FMA in Solaris 10 or OpenSolaris know of and can manipulate the \
HDD-specific Service LED?

2) Could or should cfgadm be more robust and turn on the OK2RM LED?

3) Is there a facility in the OS userland or the kernel (aside from the cumbersome \
ipmitool) that would allow a program, and hence an admin, to see the state of these \
LEDs and manipulate them?

/dale