List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] Incomplete Installation?
From:       Mike Gerdts <mgerdts () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-22 0:00:57

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Errol Neal <eneal@businessgrade.com> wrote:
> I was hoping someone could help me out here. I started playing with OpenSolaris \
> community edition recently, and I'm trying to use some commands like beadm - but \
> these commands/packages are not installed nor do I see them on the DVD. I also had \
> this issue with the pkg command. Can someone point me to what I'm doing wrong? I'm \
> running build snv_113.

What you have is "Solaris Express Community Edition", which uses the
same packaging tools (pkgadd, patchadd, live upgrade, etc.) that is
used by Solaris 10.  OpenSolaris 2008.11 is the latest release of
OpenSolaris that contains the commands you are talking about.

It only supports x86 at the moment.  There are newer development bits
of OpenSolaris available that support SPARC as well, but installation
is rather complicated because you have to use the new automated
installer (AI).  There is a new release, 2009.06, expected within the
next few weeks.  It will support x86 and SPARC, but I expect that the
SPARC installation story will not change a lot between now and then.
As such, if you are new to it all, you are probably going to have the
most pleasant experience with 2008.11 on x86 right now.  When 2009.06
is released you will be able to upgrade your installation very easily
with "pkg image-update".

You will probably find more people to help with these questions at
opensolaris-discuss@opensolaris.org.  This is not to say that
sysadmin-discuss folks aren't friendly and all, it is just that there
is a bigger audience that is pretty focused on new user issues on the
other list.  I think that most of the people on this list are more
focused on server-ish deployments of Solaris Express or similar.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/