List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] Porting X11/Motif apps from Solaris 2.8 to 10
From:       Alan Coopersmith <Alan.Coopersmith () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2009-05-01 16:22:47

Brown, Rodrick wrote:
> I have a slew of applications that are currently running in Solaris 8 and we're in \
> the process of upgrading these applications to Solaris 10, However I'm not sure if \
> we could take our existing applications and have them just work w/o recompilation?

In most cases, yes.   There's a Solaris Binary Compatibility Guarantee page you
can find on sun.com with details and instructions on using appcert to check for
known issues.

> What I basically would like to know is if Solaris ABI has stayed pretty consistent \
> since 2.8 to 10? Some of these apps might have been linked with motif libraries has \
> motif been back ported into 10?

Absolutely - Motif is almost identical in Solaris 8 & 10 (same version, just
more bug fixes in the Solaris 10 patches than in the older Solaris 8) and the
ABI of the core system libraries is very strictly controlled to ensure
compatibility.

There's been lots of additions, but very little incompatible change.   (Read
the "End of Feature Support" section of the release notes for information on
removed API's or the few intentional incompatibilities.)

--
	-Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersmith@sun.com