List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] [install-discuss] Proposal: Adopt Conary as
From:       "Peter Tribble" <peter.tribble () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-30 21:08:36

> On 9/28/07, Brandorr <brandorr@opensolaris.org> wrote:
> > Proposal: Adopt Conary as the standard packaging and distribution
> > framework for OpenSolaris.

I can't agree to that request. For one. it involves making a snap decision,
and I simply don't think we can just go ahead and do that.

For two, to make such a decision would require two things; first, to have
developed a packaging strategy based on future needs and current
shortcomings, that would give us a framework in which to make such
decisions. Second, to have done a proper community evaluation of
Conary.

Now, I'm going to try and start a conversation on the strategy part.

For Conary, perhaps a minor revision of Brian's request to create
a project to evaluate Conary for its suitability in the OpenSolaris
context, and that that project have equal standing (in terms of eligibility
to be chosen) as any other proposed packaging system.

(Related to the last one, I would love to be able to propose that
the existing SVR4 packaging system be enhanced to meet our future
needs, as I believe that it can not only do so but do so extremely
well. It has 4 things going for it: it exists; it works at the moment;
systems and admins know how to use it; it's compatible with large
quantities of existing 3rd-party software. Because of interdependencies
with patching, the installer, and live upgrade, nobody in the (non-Sun)
community can actually do any serious work on the SVR4 packaging
system, so I'm stuck.)

--
-Peter Tribble