List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] SMF question.
From:       "Peter Tribble" <peter.tribble () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-26 7:06:36

On 9/26/07, David Bustos <David.Bustos@sun.com> wrote:
> Quoth Peter Tribble on Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 11:43:55PM +0100:
> >
> > Now I'm slightly confused. When installing multiple copies of
> > (say) apache or tomcat I have different manifests because they all
> > have different working directories, different method scripts, different
> > environment variables, potentially other differences.
> >
> > Am I doing it all wrong here?
>
> No.  That works, and we would like it to work, because of the below
> problem, we can't recommend it right now.

Ah, right.

> > > Using
> > > different manifests to create different instances of the same service
> > > currently has problems, though they can be worked around.
> >
> > It's worked for me so far. What's going to bite me?
>
> If you import a manifest which creates an alternative instance for
> a service which already exists, svccfg will try to upgrade the
> properties on the service.  Usually the original instance had all of its
> properties on the service, and the new manifest has all of the
> properties on the instance.  svccfg ends up "upgrading" by removing all
> of the properties on the service, which renders the original instance
> invalid.
>
> This can be worked around by duplicating the service properties in all
> of the manifests.  But this is unmaintainable when different people
> control the manifests (e.g., Sun and an end-user).  This is covered by
> 6420911 (Manifests for alternate instances are unmaintainable), and
> should be fixed by the enhanced SMF profiles project.

So I guess this works because I write all the manifests. I have seen
exactly this problem, and ended up going with the workaround you
mention.

It does mean that I have to be very careful to never allow an externally
supplied instance of apache or tomcat anywhere near my systems
though. I hadn't really appreciated how bad this could potentially be,
so thanks for the heads-up!

--
-Peter Tribble