List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    [sysadmin-discuss] Ideas for the future of the Sysadmin Community
From:       Ben Rockwood <benr () cuddletech ! com>
Date:       2007-09-21 8:19:28

Moved by Peter's call to action I've been thinking about what we, as the
sysadmin community, can do to better the OpenSolaris ecosystem in
general.  The following are some ideas that have resulted:

1) Establish a Jobs Board

I'm hearing it from Sun customers at the trade shows I attend, I'm
hearing it from Sun employees, I'm hearing it from my customers at
Joyent, I'm hearing it in the ether... we're in a situation that at one
time would have seemed impossible: Companies can't find Solaris
administrators!  I'm seeing organizations that _want_ to use Solaris but
can't find people that know it.  But, clearly there are Solaris admins
out there, lots of them.  Thus, we need to provide a way, closely
associated with OpenSolaris, where admins can find employeers and vice
versa.

2) Working with Sun Ed

Are Solaris Admin Certs useful?  I would argue they aren't.  How many
certified admins are there?  How many have been certified in 2007 so
far?  In 2006?  In 2005?  Is Sun Ed meeting the needs of the
administrators and what can we do to fix what would appear to be a
broken system.  We have, I think, some obligation as informed
administrators to assist, if possible, Sun in improving and/or
over-hauling the existing educational programs for admins.

3) Registered SA's

As an extension of #1... I kind of like the idea of registering
sysadmins.  I don't know how popular this would be, but there has been a
large disconnect between Sun and the SA's that are the key to its
success.  Being a registered SAs, not to replace but suppliment the
certification ranks, might be a way to bolster the number of admins and
bring focus back to the platform in a simplistic way.

4) Improved Messaging to the SA Community

BigAdmin is a resource I think we should help with.  Its currently one
guy holding it together (I'm sorry, I forgot his named, met him at
JavaOne, great guy!).  Perhaps we should have a hand in it.  Other
methods exist to bring a community closer together, such as podcasts,
screencasts, newsletters (less so), etc.

5) Establish an SA's Counsel.

A sub-set of this community, likely the leaders/core-contribs of this
group would establish an informal counsel to work with Sun, the OGB, or
otherwise act as a unified voice of the community.  In general, be more
organized.  This group could also act as a hub for efforts to work with
groups like SAGE and LOPSA as well.

These things involve a good amount of work.  For instance, a good jobs
board would likely require writing the app.  The quick method would be
to just use a Wiki, but thats a solution frock with problems.  Maybe we
can do these things, maybe not, but I think these ideas are worth
discussion and may at least provide the "powers that be" (ie: get paid
for this shit) interested in new ideas.

benr.