List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] NIS+ Client User
From:       "Peter Tribble" <peter.tribble () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-08-22 22:44:21

On 8/22/07, Wesley Naves <wesley.faria@aganp.go.gov.br> wrote:
> HI,
>         What does "Nis+ Client User" mean ?

Basically, a real user - an entry in the passwd file/table.

> Whats the function for the line
> command 'nisclient -u" ? I am reading Naming and Directory Services (NIS+)
> and it says i need Initialize an NIS+ User, but i can't understand why.

It's been a while since I used NIS+ (now using NIS and wishing
I had NIS+ again).

NIS+ requires credentials for each user and machine. The nisclient
command manages those credentials. If you populate the passwd
file/table with nispopulate, then you don't know what the secure rpc
passwd is, so it's set to a default ("nisplus" as I recall). The user
has to run nisclient -u to change the secure rpc passwd (preferably
to their login passwd, otherwise you don't gain anything).

I always created users with a script that initialized the secure rpc
passwd to be the same as the login passwd, so they were in sync
from the start and this nisclient stuff by the user wasn't needed.

--
-Peter Tribble