List:       opensolaris-sysadmin-discuss
Subject:    Re: [sysadmin-discuss] persistent binding with qlc.conf in
From:       Sumit Gupta <sumit.gupta () sun ! com>
Date:       2007-08-16 9:12:52

> The qlc driver seems to be working perfectly fine in
> detecting the storage ..and for creating Filesystems
> on the storage etc.
>
> But I would like to know if persistent binding option
> is possible with qlc driver(as it was possible with
> the qla driver provided by the vendor QLOGIC for
> pre-sol10 environments ) and if so how (the syntax to
> make this possible in qlc.conf)

For most part persistent bindings are not needed with SAN Foundation suite. They were \
originally invented by FC HBA vendors to establish a mapping between 'a parallel SCSI \
type target ID' and FC identifiers like WWN and PORTIDs. But with SAN Foundation \
Suite, the taget IDs are either the hard address of the device (in a private loop) or \
the WWN. So no mapping is needed. The only exception to this is Tape drives. To \
handle that, a better approach is to use /etc/devlink.tab . There is a chapter on \
persistent bindings in SFS guide. Here is the link.

http://docs.sun.com/source/819-0139/ch_8_persist_binding.html

> Also since the same qlc driver is used for the
> onbaord disks as well (for the sun fire v490) is
> there a way to tweak the connection options only for
> the SAN HBAs?

There is a comment at the beginning of qlc.conf which tells how to change a setting \
for a specific driver instance.

Sumit