List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [storage-discuss] How do mpt_sas devices manifest under
From:       "James C. McPherson" <jmcp () opensolaris ! org>
Date:       2010-11-25 11:51:26

On 24/11/10 11:02 AM, Peter Taps wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This is a newbie question.
>
> For a custom server, we plan to use LSI 9211-8i for the internal
> storage  and LSI 9200-se for externally connected JBODs.
>
> Assuming both the cards can be driven by mpt_sas, how do the cards
> manifest themselves under OpenSolaris? Is there a directory entry created
> for each card under /devices directory? Also, if you have multiple
> external JBODs, is there a directory entry for each JBOD?

Hi Peter,
They would be separate instances of the driver. When you
run "prtconf -v" you will likely see them as

mpt_sas, instance #0
and
mpt_sas, instance #1

The /dev and /devices directory hierarchies are not "real"
in the same way that /usr/bin is "real" - they are a convenient
on-disk representation of the kernel's concept of your
current device tree. You would, however, see different paths
to each controller.

I have two mpt cards (precursor to mpt_sas) in my system, and they
show up in /devices like so:

/devices/pci@0,0/pci10de,376@a/pci1000,3150@0
and
/devices/pci@ff,0/pci10de,377@f/pci1000,3150@

When I look at /pci@0,0 in my prtconf output, that shows up as
pci, instance #0

Likewise, /pci@ff,0 is
pci, instance #1

JBODs themselves won't have a directory entry, unless they have
a SES (SCSI Enclosure Services) device, in which case you would
see an entry for each ses node in /dev/es.

James C. McPherson
--
Oracle
http://www.jmcp.homeunix.com/blog