List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [storage-discuss] LSAI SAS SATA card and MB comptability
From:       "Wilkinson, Alex" <alex.wilkinson () dsto ! defence ! gov ! au>
Date:       2008-06-29 10:56:09

    0n Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 08:47:24PM +1000, James C. McPherson wrote:

    >Wilkinson, Alex wrote:
    >>     0n Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 12:21:30PM -0500, Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:
    >>
    >>     >If you want to keep the costs down, and are willing to sacrifice the
    >>     >ability to use SAS, you might look at these. This is a vary well tested
    >>     >chipset, as it is the one used in SUN's "thumper" machines, and you would
    >>     >only need two of them. (It does not have the RAID support that your LSI
    >>     >has, but you shouldn't be using that with ZFS anyway)
    >>     >
    >>     >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815121009
    >>
    >> I am thinking of doing a similar thing. My motherboard (Abit IP-35 Pro) has 2
    >> 3Gbps eSATA Ports using a "JMicron JMB363" chipset.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if OpenSolaris will "just work" with the aforementioned eSATA \
chipset ?  >>
    >> I suppose I will then need to find eSATA disk enclosures that will work with
    >> OpenSolaris to.
    >
    >Hi Alex,
    >that card should work ok with the ahci driver
    >
    >http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6645543
    >6645543 relax AHCI checks violated by JMicron JMB363 controller
    >

    >As for enclosures, I've had good experiences with some Enhance
    >Proavio gear that I got from Silicon Memory in Sydney.
    >http://www.siliconmemory.com.au/content/enhance/e4-ml.html
    >They do cables too.

Great! Thanks stacks for the info James!

 -aW

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Australian Defence Organisation and \
is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the CRIMES ACT 1914.  If you have \
received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the \
email.