List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    [storage-discuss] Joining NT4 domain fails
From:       Jim Klimov <jimklimov () cos ! ru>
Date:       2008-05-28 6:59:24

I believe I've seen a number of notes that NT4 domains are not yet supported by CIFS \
service; indeed joining a domain fails ("hitech" below is the NT4 domain; "cos.ru" is \
the DNS domain):

[root@thumper /]# smbadm join -u jim hitech
Enter domain password:
Joining 'hitech' ... this may take a minute ...
failed to join domain 'hitech' (INVALID_PARAMETER)
[root@thumper /]# smbadm join -u hitech\jim HITECH
Enter domain password:
Joining 'HITECH' ... this may take a minute ...
[root@thumper /]# smbadm join -u Administrator HITECH.cos.ru
Enter domain password:
Joining 'HITECH.cos.ru' ... this may take a minute ...
failed to join domain 'HITECH.cos.ru' (INVALID_PARAMETER)
[root@thumper /]# smbadm join -u Administrator HITECH.
Enter domain password:
Joining 'HITECH.' ... this may take a minute ...
failed to join domain 'HITECH.' (INVALID_PARAMETER)
[root@thumper /]# smbadm join -u Administrator HITECH
Enter domain password:
Joining 'HITECH' ... this may take a minute ...
failed to join domain 'HITECH' (INVALID_PARAMETER)

Setting WINS servers and PDC also did not help:

[root@thumper /]# sharectl get smb
system_comment=Sun x4500 FilerServer
max_workers=64
netbios_scope=
lmauth_level=4
keep_alive=5400
wins_server_1=194.67.186.67
wins_server_2=194.67.131.167
wins_exclude=
signing_enabled=false
signing_required=false
restrict_anonymous=false
pdc=194.67.186.67
ads_site=
ddns_enable=false
autohome_map=/etc

When I tried to set "domain HITECH" line in /etc/resolv.conf, smbadm went iterating \
search-domains for kerberos names (i.e. _kerberos._udp.COS.RU).

We don't plan on upgrading from NT4 to AD soon, so what options do I have?

Is there any trick to try with SMF service options, sharectl, etc?

One more idea we've had - if we set up Sun DSEE 6.x as LDAP login system for our \
Solaris boxes, and sync DSEE password data to NT4 PDC some way, will these passwords \
work for Windows users to access this Solaris CIFS server (i'm referring to the \
pam_smb ilne that must be added, and passwd re-run, for Unix passwords to be okay)?

Obviously I can still use the original Samba if Solaris one fails, but we wanted to \
take advantage of the latest tech at least somewhere :)