List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    [storage-discuss] Recursive ACL with chmod does not work as expected
From:       Andrew Hydle <internet () nineproductions ! com>
Date:       2008-04-17 13:28:16

Hi, I am having some problems with recursive ACL's and I was hoping someone could \
help me out. I am not sure if I am missing something but chmod does not behave as I \
would expect it too.

I have an existing directory structure with existing files that I want to add a new \
group to. The new group should have rwx (like) permissions to all existing files and \
directories and any new files/directories should inherit this.

So here is what I did.

1) Recursively add the group to the existing directory and any sub-directories. I get \
a whole mess of errors because files should not have inheritance set on them.

root@fs0 # chmod -R A+group:DOMAIN+finance-users:wpdDxraRAwW:fd:allow ./
chmod: ERROR: Inheritance flags are only allowed on directories
See chmod(1) for more information on valid ACL syntax
chmod: ERROR: Inheritance flags are only allowed on directories
See chmod(1) for more information on valid ACL syntax

2) I verify that the new permissions are set on one of the directories. The new group \
is set on the directory.

root@fs0 # ls -Vd ./Documents
drwxrwx---+  2 DOMAIN+tuserb BUILTIN+users      33 Mar 24 11:41 Documents/
    group:DOMAIN+finance-:rwxpdDaARW----:fd----:allow
    owner@:--------------:------:deny
    owner@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
    group@:--------------:------:deny
    group@:rwxp----------:------:allow
    everyone@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:deny
    everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow

3) I verify that the new permissions are set on one of the files but the new group \
permission is not there.

ls -Vd Fax\ Cover\ Sheet.doc
-rwx-w----+  1 DOMAIN+tuserb    DOMAIN+domain users   36864 Mar 24 11:40 Fax Cover \
Sheet.doc  owner@:----dDaARW----:------:allow
    user:DOMAIN+tuserb:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
    group:BUILTIN+users:rwxpdDaARW----:------:allow
         everyone@:-------A-W-Co-:------:deny
         everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow
            owner@:--------------:------:deny
            owner@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
            group@:r-x-----------:------:deny
            group@:-w-p----------:------:allow
         everyone@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:deny
         everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow

4) So I try and back out my ACL changes by using the exact same chmod command I used \
to apply the ACL but switching the A+ to an A- and I get ACL entry does not exist

root@fs0 # chmod -R A-group:DOMAIN+finance-users:wpdDxraRAwW:fd:allow ./
chmod: ERROR: ACL entry doesn't exist

5) If I verify if the ACL was removed I see it was not.

root@fs0 # ls -Vd ./Documents
drwxrwx---+  2 DOMAIN+tuserb BUILTIN+users      33 Mar 24 11:41 Documents/
    group:DOMAIN+finance-:rwxpdDaARW----:fd----:allow
    owner@:--------------:------:deny
    owner@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
    group@:--------------:------:deny
    group@:rwxp----------:------:allow
    everyone@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:deny
    everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow

6) The recursive remove didnt work but I can remove the ACL by specifying the \
directory.

root@fs0 # chmod A-group:DOMAIN+finance-users:wpdDxraRAwW:fd:allow ./Documents
root@fs0 # ls -Vd ./Documents
drwxrwx---+  2 DOMAIN+tuserb BUILTIN+users      33 Mar 24 11:41 Documents/
    owner@:--------------:------:deny
    owner@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:allow
    group@:--------------:------:deny
    group@:rwxp----------:------:allow
    everyone@:rwxp---A-W-Co-:------:deny
    everyone@:------a-R-c--s:------:allow

If I try to do a recursive ACL update on the root of a ZFS file system I get an \
ERROR.

root@fs0 # zfs list | grep tuserb
export/Users/tuserb                     31.7M  11.6T  31.7M  /export/Users/tuserb

root@fs0 # chmod -R A+group:DOMAIN+finance-users:wpdDxraRAwW:fd:allow ./tuserb
chmod: ERROR: ACL type's are different