List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    [storage-discuss] B85 ZFS CIFS share access issue
From:       Simon Breden <sbreden () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-03-30 11:22:24

I noticed some differences between b82 and b85 (clean install) regarding CIFS shares.

Existing working CIFS shares from build 82 didn't work after moving to build 85.

In order to try and see why, I looked up CIFS guide here: \
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2429/smbserver?a=view

where it says:

"The Samba and CIFS services cannot be used simultaneously on a single Solaris \
system. The Samba service must be disabled in order to run the Solaris CIFS service. \
For more information, see How to Disable the Samba Service."

So, disable samba:

# svcs | grep samba
maintenance 20:35:42 svc:/network/samba:default
# svcadm disable svc:/network/samba
# svcs | grep samba
#

When I try to access the share from the Mac using autofs (smbfs:), I see the \
following message in /var/adm/messages:

Mar 27 20:38:48 solarisbox smbd[667]: [ID 653746 daemon.notice] \
SmbLogon[WORKGROUP\simon]: NO_SUCH_USER

So, something changed?

See here: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2429/configureworkgroupmodetask?a=view

# smbadm join -w WORKGROUP
Successfully joined workgroup 'WORKGROUP'
#

Edit the /etc/pam.conf file to support creation of an encrypted version of the user's \
password for CIFS. Add the following line to the end of the file:

# vi /etc/pam.conf

other password required pam_smb_passwd.so.1 nowarn

Specify the password for existing local users.

The Solaris CIFS service cannot use the Solaris encrypted version of the local user's \
password for authentication. Therefore, you must generate an encrypted version of the \
local user's password for the Solaris CIFS service to use. When the SMB PAM module is \
installed, the passwd command generates such an encrypted version of the password.

# passwd simon

Now it works again, after reinitialising the client's autofs (on the Mac for me).

If anyone else had the same problem, I hope this helps.