List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    [storage-discuss] Creating ZFS home filesystems from Linux
From:       msl <opensolaris () posix ! brte ! com ! br>
Date:       2008-02-22 11:08:47

Sometime ago i did post this: \
(http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2006-October/035351.html) on ZFS \
discuss, and Darren J Moffat gave me the idea to use SSH to create the home \
directories on the solaris server.   So, i did implement that solution, and did post \
the results in my blog:     http://www.posix.brte.com.br/blog/?p=102
 For make the things simpler for you :), the post describes the solution that i have \
                implemented to:
 - Create (automatically) the user home directories (ZFS filesystems) from Linux \
clients. In a standard scenario, the "pam_mkhomedir" do the job, but if we are using \
ZFS filesytems to quota, snapshots, etc... we need to create them from Linux too.  \
p.s: I think in the future i will try to improve that solution to let the linux users \
take snapshots, rollback and etc...   But i did find some issues that i'm here to \
                discuss with you..
 - I did not find the "permission" that i need to give to the user so it can "chown" \
a ZFS filesystem. I did try the two ZFS profiles, file_owner, and file_chown without \
luck.   The creation sequence is:
 1) The user login on the linux client
 2) The stack PAM execute a SSH session to the solaris server to create the user home \
directory if it does not exists yet (using a "specific user").  3) The shell for that \
"specific user" do the filesystem creation task.  4) PROBLEM: This "specifi user" \
cannot chown the new ZFS filesystem to the final user. So, the user cannot write \
anything to the home directory.  Thanks a lot for your time.