List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [storage-discuss] [Fwd: Intel S3210SHLX & Supermicro
From:       Robin Bowes <robin-lists () robinbowes ! com>
Date:       2008-02-21 1:45:48

Andrew M. Hettinger wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, I hope this clarifies both the problem I am
>  seeing, as well as provides enough information to serve as a
> starting point.
>
> When the SATA controller is in a PCI-X (64 bit) slot, on the first
> reboot, the system hangs indefinitely at the 3-lines starting with
> "SunOS Release 5.11 Version snv_82 64-bit" When the SATA controller
> is in a PCI (32bit) slot (this is a bit of a feat, as there it a
> heatsink in the way... suffice it to say, it involves a riser that we
> use for blades) it boots normally on the first boot. When installed
> on the onboard AHCI chipset it works fine as well (this is not a
> viable solution, as I am using far more sata ports then any mainboard
> provides).

Andrew,

Have you ever installed Linux on any of your disks?

I've seen similar msgs and symptoms when re-using disks for an
OpenSOlaris install on which I've had Linux installed. I've raised a bug
about it: *Change Request ID*: 6662383

This could be completely left-field so please ignore if it is...

R.