List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    Re: [storage-discuss] OpenSolaris with iSCSI Luns and IPMP 3 x "1
From:       Chandan Maddanna <chandan.maddanna () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-12-26 21:38:19

Hey all,

I tried the following combinations, of IPMP and Link Aggregation ( Nemo stuff ) .

With Cisco and Dlink managed Switches.

Some of these switches has facilities to arrgegate ports ( port aggregation ) on the \
switch, i used them, for no use.. Only one active port is selected at particular \
time, and in one of the parallel mode settings, Packet loss goes to an all time high \
of 43 % ... lol

With Unmanaged Switch, where All NICs which are aggregated, are connected, Also does \
not work, and the aggregated link speed is same as a single one.

SO WHAT IS THAT WHICH WORKS . ...  :) ... here we go ..

Consider that we have created an aggregated  link with three interfaces, and if we \
connect all three interfaces to a different unmanaged switch, and on the other end \
too, if each interface of an IPMP group are connected to one of these switches...

Than we have  "Optimum outbound spread" and i reached a optimum outgoing traffic \
speed of 2.6 GBPS with 3 GBe intel ethernet cards. Also we have "Optimum Inbound \
Spread" and i achieved an inbound traffic speed of nearly 2.4 GBPs on every \
aggregated link ( actually one aggregated link of 3 Nic's on two X64 Servers ).

This solution is beautiful, and now as even the PGR is on, i will be testing quorum \
and stuff with Solaris 10 and SC 3.2 . and also i am planning to start quorum server \
on the storage node, where IPMP is setup and add aditional quorum device to the \
cluster nodes..

If this works, believe me guys, we can have a optimum and "superb" performing / \
Tolarent and very cost effective "3" Node Sun CLuster.

I will keep you guys updated.

-- Chandan Maddanna