List:       opensolaris-storage-discuss
Subject:    [storage-discuss] iSCSI Target performance
From:       Rick McNeal <Rick.McNeal () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2007-02-09 1:15:04

If anyone is doing some simple I/O tests, like dd, for example with
iSCSI and noticing abysmal performance I just found something.
Internally someone was setting up a machine with iSCSI and noticed
the following:

time dd if=<iscsi_target> of=/dev/null bs=1k count=200

    reported time would be 12 seconds.

time dd if=<iscsi_target> of=/dev/null bs=8k count=200

    reported time would be less than a second.

For the test the iSCSI target backing store was a file in /tmp, so
it's a ram disk. The link between the two machines is a 10GbE.

Clearly something odd was happening since there's no way 1k reads
should be slower than 8k reads. Well, after poking around a little
bit it turns out this simple test case is showing why the "Nagele
Algorithm" is not a good fit for iSCSI. By disabling this feature the
times for the 1KB case are just a fraction of a second quicker than
the 8KB which is expected.

I just wanted to point this out to folks in case you've noticed the
problem and where wondering why or saw this problem and thought the
Solaris iSCSI Target was a piece of junk. I'll be fixing this with my
next set of changes.
----
Rick McNeal

"If ignorance is bliss, this lesson would appear to be a deliberate
attempt on your part to deprive me of happiness, the pursuit of which
is my unalienable right according to the Declaration of
Independence.  I therefore assert my patriotic prerogative not to
know this material.  I'll be out on the playground." -- Calvin